Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[BEER] THE KING OF CLANS

5 posters

A very good take on MAG

Admin
    Admin
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Male Number of posts : 1150
    Registration date : 2008-12-24

A very good take on MAG Empty A very good take on MAG

Post by Admin Fri 15 Jan 2010, 9:51 pm

MAG Beta Frontlines Report

A few editors lock and load on Zipper's battlefield.

by Greg Miller A very good take on MAG Readmyblog

LATEST IMAGES
    A very good take on MAG Mag-20100108024505074_thumb_ign
    IGN.ImageLoader.delayByView("thumbImg1", "http://media.ignimgs.com/media/thumb/309/3098321/mag-20100108024505074_thumb_ign.jpg");
    A very good take on MAG Mag-20100108024502590_thumb_ign
    IGN.ImageLoader.delayByView("thumbImg2", "http://media.ignimgs.com/media/thumb/309/3098319/mag-20100108024502590_thumb_ign.jpg");

View all 66 images LATEST VIDEO
    A very good take on MAG Mag_trl_careermode_10710_qthighwide_thumb_ign
    IGN.ImageLoader.delayByView("thumbVid1", "http://media.ignimgs.com/media/thumb/309/3097208/mag_trl_careermode_10710_qthighwide_thumb_ign.jpg");
    View all 12 videos

showUSloc=(checkLocale('uk')||checkLocale('au'));document.writeln(showUSloc ? 'US, ' : '');
    January 6, 2010 - My single biggest complaint from when I first saw MAG in April 2009 has been fixed; you can now melee attack with one button. Hallelujah. However, after fiddling around with the open beta – the one you can download right now off of the PlayStation Store for free – I still have mixed emotions when it comes to the latest from Zipper Entertainment. I enjoy running and gunning as much as the next guy and taking down a room filled with enemies, but it's a pain to wait 20 seconds to respawn, then run forever to the next objective, and then get sniped by someone camping over on the horizon. Don't get me wrong, I know that happens in these types of games all the time, but you're being asked to cover a lot more ground than your usual shooter and then you have to wait upwards of 20 seconds to respawn.

MAG seems to be lacking in the fun department – at least at the moment.

I'm sure you know the basics of MAG, but if you need a refresher, this is the game that boasts MMO elements and 256 players online. When you start a career, you'll side with one of the three private military corporations in the game (Valor, SVER or Raven) and begin fighting battles in its honor. You'll be part of an eight-man squad that's part of a 32-man platoon that's part of the 128-person army. Each of those levels have leaders who are to guide the troops as one organized unit of attack.
    A very good take on MAG Mag-20100106044536782
    That's where the beta isn't really getting the point. I've played and had a number of editors play at my desk today, and it's pretty rare to find a group of kids rocking headsets. I know a lot of people don't talk when they play online titles, but the cornerstone of this game is communicating with each other as a cohesive army. Usually, I'm only finding one or two people in my eight-person platoon who can audibly communicate with me. Without that avenue, everyone runs around doing their own thing. I mean, people are bleeding out all over the place – you can choose to respawn when shot to death or wait a while hoping someone comes along to revive you – and no one is helping each other. It was super-rare for there to be coordinated attacks on targets. When you start the beta, you only have access to 64-player matches, so you'll have to level up to get to the point where you can have 256 people just running all over the place.

Of course, this is still a beta; things are probably going to change between now and the game's January 26th release date, but right now, MAG isn't doing it for me. I feel like I spawn, run for a really long time, maybe pop a couple of guys, and then get waxed. Next, I have to wait to respawn and do it all over again.

The guns are cool and leveling-up to earn skill points to spend on modifications is a fine idea, but the experience of snagging those rewards is so bland and at times frustrating – why can't I stop reloading to do a quick knife attack? I look like an idiot running up on a guy, starting a reload, and having to dance around while I finish that animation so that I can have the ability to stab again. Why isn't there one button that handles throwing a grenade instead of having to cycle to it and then pull a trigger? Why do RPGs pack no punch?

MAG isn't a lost cause or anything. The game looks pretty at points, there's a deep leveling system, and if you get a bunch of hardcore players together, the army dynamic might workout. However, I wasn't having that great of an experience today, and neither were the other IGN editors who picked up the controller. Here's what they had to say…

Nick Kolan, IGN MMO Editor
    Unless you have the reaction speed of a coked-out racecar driver, MAG is currently a frustrating experience at best. Even with a heavy kit equipped (allegedly offering you protection out the wazoo at the cost of mobility) when you encounter an opponent, one of you will die in the next three seconds. Then the other will die immediately afterwards from their backup. Guaranteed. In a game with the potential for so many players to be running and gunning, "realistic" deaths, while probably accurate, aren't going to be fun. On top of that, although the maps are large (perhaps too large to keep the momentum going), interactivity is minimal, and some areas that would be prime sniping territory but are entirely locked out by invisible walls.

A very good take on MAG Mag-20100106044528642-000 Blap-blap!

Jim Reilly, IGN News Editor
    In the short time I had with MAG, the controls felt tight and responsive and there was little no noticeable lag. If you're a fan of team killing, though, MAG seems like an excellent choice to scratch that itch. Knife kills are quick and easy (tapping R3), and spawn reload times are relatively short. I was never voted out during any of my matches, so that means either MAG players have thick skin, or they were just having trouble finding the 'vote to kick' option in the menus. Hey, it's either you or them, I always say.

Hilary Goldstein, IGN Editor in Chief
    Playing MAG for a half hour really makes me appreciate Modern Warfare 2. I know this is just a beta, but this has hardly gotten me excited for this upcoming PS3 exclusive. My big concern is that this game is going to be a haven for campers. Since there are so few spawn points, no kill cam and often little idea of where your killer is located, it's going to be really easy for people to find good hiding spots and lay waste to people. And it takes so damn long to run back to the action that it's going to become really disheartening for a lot of gamers to die so quickly and so often. I don't have high hopes for this one.
    I_Seiran_I
    I_Seiran_I
    Seal
    Seal

Male Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

A very good take on MAG Empty Re: A very good take on MAG

Post by I_Seiran_I Sun 17 Jan 2010, 4:03 pm

THe last guy had some good points, though its been too long since I played the beta.

I enjoyed it though, I never really noticed the spawn times or anything, I liked it.

The only thing I didn't like about mag was when my platoon leader had no mic and no clue. That wrecked it for me.
    KAZZ420
    Boot Camp
    Boot Camp

Male Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2009-08-11

Post by KAZZ420 Mon 18 Jan 2010, 3:13 pm

This game will be good for those that work together as a team and if everyone has a mic. What times I played the funnest were with people I knew and when we had all of us in one squad and playing as a team. I enjoyed being a medic, you can score a lot of points that way. With a team of guys playing together this will be a fun game.
    PAUL-AWOL-
    PAUL-AWOL-
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Male Number of posts : 981
    Registration date : 2009-05-02

Post by PAUL-AWOL- Mon 18 Jan 2010, 3:18 pm

Only reason why I am buying it because Zipper is making it. Zipper so far over the years hasn't let me down. Over 7 years of Socom. Hope for the best with this game.. It looks a little grainy to me, hopefully it's just the Beta look.
    Echo55hotel
    Echo55hotel
    Buds Training
    Buds Training

Male Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2009-12-13

Post by Echo55hotel Sat 23 Jan 2010, 11:42 am

I am assuming the MAG Beta is over.....couldn't log into it?
    PAUL-AWOL-
    PAUL-AWOL-
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Male Number of posts : 981
    Registration date : 2009-05-02

Post by PAUL-AWOL- Sat 23 Jan 2010, 11:59 am

I also tried yesterday afternoon and got an error. I just deleted it off my hard drive. I went thru my download list and removed three demos off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 1:20 pm